15 March 2017
Notice of Election - Parent Governors
All governing bodies are made up from people appointed or elected to different categories of governor. In all academies, one of the categories of governor is a parent governor and at Bishop Rawstorne we have 3 parent governors.
Parent governors are elected by the parents of students at this academy to serve a 4 year term of office. There are now vacancies for two parent governors on the governing body of this academy. You may, if you wish, put yourself forward for election, using the nomination form which can be downloaded from the school’s website www.bishopr.co.uk (Parents/Letters & Forms)
The role of a school governor is to contribute to the work of the governing body in ensuring high standards of achievement for all young people in the school by:
- setting the school’s vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its students and
- overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
There is a time commitment involved in order to do this and you will be asked to attend three meetings of the full governing body a year (which typically run from 5.00pm-7.00pm on a Tuesday). You will also be assigned a committee and these meetings are also termly (from 5.00pm on a Monday). There are meeting papers to read and consider and some of our governors also take on a lead role for a particular curriculum area.
The timetable for the election is:-
- Nomination form along with completed Appendix B to be returned to school in a sealed envelope marked for the attention of the Returning Officer by 12.00 noon on Monday 27 March 2017.
- Ballot papers will be sent out for completion should there be more than two applicants on Thursday 30 March 2017(Voting will only take place if there are more nominations than vacancies)
- Ballot papers to be returned to school by 12 noon on Monday 24 April 2017
- The votes will be counted at 9.00am on Tuesday 25 April 2017 after which the result will be announced.
Governors have an important and influential role to play in the life of our academy, and I do hope you will be able to take part in this election by becoming a candidate and by casting your vote when the time comes.
Mr A Marston
Chair of Governors/Returning Officer