In March 2012 Bishop Rawstorne was granted Teaching School status as part of the move towards a school centred approach to training and innovation in education. Since then we have made considerable progress in creating and sharing a range of strategies in support of developing a close alliance of schools with the aim of raising standards. In the summer of 2015 our Headteacher was designated as an NLE, a National Leader of Education, and Bishop Rawstorne a National Support School. NLEs are outstanding headteachers who work with schools in challenging circumstances to support school improvement.
Because their support role will often include members of their own staff, the school of a National Leader of Education is called a National Support School.
You should contact us if you want to improve performance at your school. You will be able to meet with our Headteacher and senior staff from our school to discuss the challenges you face and what help is needed. Our work will be tailored in partnership with you.
Our work includes:
- Deploying Specialist Leaders in Education (SLEs) from within our alliance to support a range of different subject specialisms which includes advice and support for staff working in schools in challenging circumstances
- Becoming an Appropriate Body for newly qualified teachers (NQTs) so that we can continue to support staff within the alliance during the early part of their teaching careers and beyond
- Developing a diverse continuing professional development (CPD) programme across our alliance so that we can share best practice between our alliance schools
- Engaging with Action Research so that we can develop and share a research based approach to improving practice in schools
- Working collaboratively with other Teaching Schools in order to identify and support future school leaders from within our alliance schools.
- Working collaboratively with the University of Cumbria and Edge Hill University to support the above.
Through all of the above strands we are fully committed to sharing best practice in order to give young people in the local area the best possible opportunities to take full advantage of the high quality educational experiences offered by our alliance schools.