Information for Students Choosing Their Key Stage 4 Options
Key Stage 4 (KS4) courses at Bishop Rawstorne are three years in length beginning in Year 9 so students choose their options in Year 8. This will ensure that each student is following an appropriate quantity and range of subjects in Years 9, 10 and 11.
The KS4 Options Process for Year 8 Students
In order to support students in making informed decisions we will be holding a number of events which provide opportunities for both students and parents to gain a greater understanding of the process and what is on offer:
- Students will be supported in school by providing them with opportunities to discuss their career aspirations and to hear from curriculum leaders about the different option choices that they are interested in.
- We will be offering parents a chance to find out more information and to ask questions at our Options Information Evening and Parents Evening in May 2024 - further details about both these events will be sent in due course.
The overall process is summarised below, exact dates will be confirmed nearer to the time:
|August 2023 - April 2024
|Careers conversations with students via an external agency MPLOY Solutions - the purpose of these are to introduce the options available to students and discuss their potential career aspirations.
|April - May 2024
|We will be supporting students in school by providing them with opportunities to hear from curriculum leaders about the different options choices that they can choose.
|The options booklet will be sent to parents as an attachment and link in the letter which introduces the options programme. Students will also be given an options booklet to take home, and parents will receive confirmation of the blue or yellow pathway that the students will be following, for review prior to the Parents Options Information Evening.
|Year 8 tracking reports will be sent out to parents/guardians.
|2 May 2024
|Options Information Evening will take place in school at 6.30pm, providing parents with the chance to find out more information and to ask any questions that they might have.
|9 May 2024
|Year 8 Parents' Evening will take place online with subject teachers 4pm-7.30pm.
|The online options form will be emailed out to students, enabling them to complete their options choices.
|Deadline for submitting options forms.
|May - June 2024
|Options forms will be processed.
|Written confirmation of options choices will be provided to students.
The KS4 Options Booklet
The KS4 Options Booklet guides you through the options process and should help answer any initial questions you may have. It explains:
- the timeline of events that we have put together when choosing options.
- the different curriculum pathways our students will follow in order to meet their individual needs.
- some tips on how to choose the right course.
- what the KS4 timetable looks like.
- the core curriculum that all students will follow.
- information on the various optional courses that students can choose to study and how they are organised and assessed.
- who you can speak to if you need any further information.
Please click on the image below to download a copy of the booklet:
Further Guidance and Information
Please contact the subject Curriculum Leader if you have any specific subject questions after these meetings, or for more general queries regarding options please contact Mrs Walton (Head of Year 8) or Mr Wood (Assistant Headteacher, Data and Timetabling).
You can also contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org who can forward your email onto the most appropriate person.
Year 8 GCSE Options 2021-2022
Please see the link for a short video regarding the Design and Technology (Product Design) GCSE available as an option choice to Year 8’s from August 2022.